With 22 SSD reviews, this has been the busiest week I’ve come across to date and even ran out of time to get this article writen by the end of Friday (Irish Time)! 10 of these reviews are OCZ, along with a couple of Patriot Torqx 2 reviews.
The OCZ Agility 3 is probably going to be the killer SSD. First of all, it packs the same powerful SandForce SF-2281 controller as OCZ’s flagship Vertex 3 and secondly it has a price much like competing equivalent size SSDs. Going by the first reviews so far this week, this SSD performs very close to that of the Vertex 3, making it an excellent candidate for those looking for a top-end SSD that don’t mind sacraficing a small amount of performance for a substantially lower price off the premium Vertex 3.
The following are this week’s reviews of the OCZ Agility 3 240GB:
- The Guru of 3D – 27th May – (SATA3) (Sim)
- KitGuru – 26th May – (SATA3) (Real World) (Sim)
- C|Net Reviews – 25th May – (SATA3) (Real World)
- C|Net Reviews (60GB model) – 25th May - (SATA3) (Real World)
- Storage Review – 25th May - (SATA3) (Sim)
- AnandTech – 24th May - (SATA3) (Script) (Sim) (Trim)
The Patriot Torqx 2 is a new SSD line from Patriot Memory, announced earlier this month. While it lacks the SATA3 interface of the major brands, it uses the Phison controller claiming to deliver read and write performance of 270MB/s and 230MB/s, respectively. With a couple of reviews of the SSD this week, it’s worth haing a look at for those who would like to stick with their existing SATA2 based motherboard and looking for an SSD without the premium associated with SATA3 SSDs.
The following are this week’s reviews of the Patriot Torqx 2 128GB:
- Hexus – 23rd May – (Sim)
- Storage Review – 20th May - (Sim)
- Legion Hardware – 18th May – (Real World)
The following are other SSD reviews published since our last reviews Friday:
- Mach Xtreme MX-GX USB 3.0 16GB @ TweakTown – 27th May - (USB3) (Pen) (Short)
- Crucial m4 256GB @ TechSpot – 27th May – (SATA3) (Real World)
- Silicon Power V20 120GB @ TweakTown – 26th May - (Sim) (Trim)
- PQI S535 256GB @ Legit Reviews – 26th May – (Real World+) (Sim)
- OCZ Technology Vertex 3 Max IOPS 240GB @ TweakTown – 25th May - (SATA3) (Sim) (Trim)
- OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 240GB @ Benchmark Reviews – 24th May - (SATA3) (Sim)
- OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G 120GB @ Legit Reviews – 24th May - (SATA3) (Real World+)
- Patriot Supersonic Magnum 64GB @ PC Pro – 24th May - (USB3) (Pen) (Real World) (Short)
- OCZ Technology Vertex 3 240GB @ TweakTown – 24th May - (SATA3) (Sim) (Trim)
- OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 240GB @ Hardware Heaven – 24th May – (SATA3) (Real World+) (Sim) (Trim)
- MyDigitalSSD 50mm Bullet Proof mSATA 64GB @ TweakTown – 23rd May - (mSATA) (Sim)
- Samsung PM800 128GB mSATA @ The SSD Review – 23rd May – (mSATA) (Sim)
- Crucial M4 512GB SATA 3 @ The SSD Review - 22nd May - (SATA3) (Sim)
- Real World – Includes real world tests, such as boot, app launch, file copy, etc. timings.
- Real World+ – As Real World, but extensive tests such as software installation/update timings.
- Sim – Simulated real world tests, such as replay of read/write traces.
- Trim – Review looks at the SSD’s TRIM performance.
- mSATA – SSD with an mSATA interface (slot in certain Netbooks & Laptops)
- SATA3 – SSD features an SATA 3.0 6Gbps interface.
- USB3 – External SSD that has a USB3 interface
- Pen – USB flash drive, but with SSD-like performance.
- Short – Quick review, similar in size to a typical magazine review
- Preview – A partial / quick hands-on review, full review may come later.
If you came across an SSD review over the past week not listed, please let us know!
Please check back next Friday for the next round of reviews.